Third Part: Sa’yi (Running)
Sa’yi literally means running. It refers to the rite of running between the two hills of Safa and Marwah. Allah (Ta’ala) has declared these two as His tokens:
إِنَّ الصَّفَا وَالْمَرْوَةَ مِنْ شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ (البقرة : 158)
[“Verily Safa and Marwah are of the tokens of Allah” (Al-Baqarah: 158)].
The conditions of running between Safa and Marwah are the following:
- To make a will for it.
- To have performed tawaf properly.
- The pilgrim must be capable of running or walking.
- The order of running. One must start his rounds with Safa and end them at Marwah. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) directed that running should be started from where Allah has described first (Nasai). Then he recited this Ayat: إِنَّ الصَّفَا وَالْمَرْوَةَ مِنْ شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ “Verily Safa and Marwah are of the tokens of Allah”.
- One should complete seven rounds of running between Safa and Marwah. Running from Safa to Marwah is counted as one round. Similarly the return running from Marwah to Safa is counted as the second round. This way one should complete the required seven rounds.
- One must run between the whole length of distance between Safa and Marwah. The full length should be covered and there should be no short-cut.
- All rounds should be made consecutively without any pause or break.
Sunnah Practices of Sa’yi
- Before proceeding for Sa’’yi one should have completed the tawaf of Ka’ba, performed the two cycles of nafil salat and after this salat must have either kissed or touched the Black Stone. Then he should begin his rounds of running from the entrance of Safa.
- Tawaf must be followed by Sa’yi.
- One must be clean, have performed ablution and have his satr
- To recite prayers before proceeding towards Safa. It is a recorded event that when the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came near the hill of Safa he recited this Ayat: إِنَّ الصَّفَا وَالْمَرْوَةَ مِنْ شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ “Verily Safa and Marwah are of the tokens of Allah” One should begin from where Allah has mentioned first. Then he ascended the hill of Safa and sighting the Ka’ba he turned towards it, mentioned oneness of Allah, chanted takbeer, and recited this prayer:
|لا الہ الا اللہ وحدہ لا شریک لہ ،لہ الملک ولہ الحمد وھو علیٰ کل شيء قدیر ۔لا الہ الا اللہ وحدہ انجز وعدہ ونصر عبدہ وھزم الاحزاب وحدہ (مسلم)|
[“There is no god but Allah one and alone, having no co-partner. To him belongs sovereignty. All praise for Him. And He has power over everything. There is no god but Allah. One and alone. He fulfilled his promise and supported his bondman and defeated the armies alone” (Muslim)].
- Males should run fast between the two green stones (presently green color has been painted on the walls). One should walk fast in the round from Safa to Marwah but on the return round one may walk normally. This is the stand taken by many scholars.