Rubbing over Leather Socks [Khuff]
Once Hadrat Jareer Bin Abdullah (RadhiAllahu Anhu) passed water. Then took ablution and rubbed over his leather socks. The people asked why he did so. He said that he had seen the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) urinate and rub over his leather socks (Al-Bukhari & Muslim). Rubbing over the leather socks is surely a concession and a facility given to the community of Muhammad (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) by Allah Almighty. According to another tradition, the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) performed ablution and then rubbed over his leather socks and shoes (Tirmizi, Ibn Majah, Ahmad)
Conditions for Rubbing over Leather Socks
- The leather socks should have been put on in a state of cleanliness (i.e., after performing wudhu). Hadrat Mugheerah Bin Sho’bah (RadhiAllahu Anhu) narrates that once he was with the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) during a journey. When he wanted to take off socks of the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) [during wudhu]. He told him not to take them off as he had put them on in a state of cleanliness, then he rubbed over them (Al-Bukhari & Muslim).
- The leather socks should completely envelope both the feet up to the ankles.
- There should be nothing in the socks which prevents rubbing. Some jurists have put the condition that the socks should be thick not thin to be transparent.
Method of Rubbing
First the right- foot sock should be rubbed by open wet fingers of the right hand from the fingers of the foot upward to the calf. Then the same process to be repeated over the left foot.
Duration of Rubbing
For a resident the duration of rubbing is one day and one night and for a journeyman it is three days and three nights. This duration will be counted from the time when he faced the first condition that necessitated wadhu after putting on the socks. For instance, if one put them on in the morning and faced a condition nullifying his wadhu first time in the afternoon, then the duration will be counted from that afternoon.
Nullifiers of Rubbing
- Expiration of the duration of rubbing
- Taking out the socks in a state of non-ablution. It is obnoxious to rub repeatedly or wash the socks instead of rubbing them.
Rubbing over a Bandage
Hadrat Jabir (RadhiAllahu Anhu) narrates that once we were on a journey. One of our men was struck by a stone causing a head injury. He slept in the night and had wet dream. In the morning he asked others whether he can perform tayammum. They replied that they were not aware of any such concession. So it would be better to take a bath. He took bath and died as a result. On their return they informed the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) about this. He said: “You people have killed him, May Allah kill you! If you did not know you should have inquired because inquiry is the cure of ignorance. He should have bandaged his head and rubbed over it and washed the rest of the body” (Abu Dawood).