RIGHTS OF WIFE
The way in which a husband has rights over his wife, in the same way, a wife has also some rights on her husband. Some of those are financial rights and some of them are non-financial:
- 1. MEHR (Dower) : It is the right specifically for the wife. There is no limit on its amount. It can be less or more. But it is undesirable to exaggerate in Mehr. The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
إِنَّ أَعْظَمَ النِّكَاحِ بَرَكَةً أَيْسَرُهُ مَؤُونَةً ” (مسند أحمد)
Translation: “The most blessed wedding is that which has the least expense” (Musnad Ahmed)
- 2. Nafaqah: It means the expenses of wife on her husband like food, clothes, residence and medicine etc. even if the wife is rich.
- 3. GOOD BEHAVIOUR: It is the greatest responsibility on the husband to behave nicely with his wife, respect her and does such work which creates love among their hearts. The biggest sign of a Muslim person’s good behaviour is that he is kind to his wife. The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
«أَكْمَلُ المُؤْمِنِينَ إِيمَانًا أَحْسَنُهُمْ خُلُقًا، وَخَيْرُكُمْ خَيْرُكُمْ لِنِسَائِهِمْ» (الترمذي)
Translation: “The most perfect man in his faith among the believers is the one whose behaviour is most excellent; and the best of you are those who are the best to their wives.”(Tirmizi)
It is also included in the respect of a woman that one tolerates her mistakes. The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
«مَنْ كَانَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ، فَإِذَا شَهِدَ أَمْرًا فَلْيَتَكَلَّمْ بِخَيْرٍ أَوْ لِيَسْكُتْ، وَاسْتَوْصُوا بِالنِّسَاءِ، فَإِنَّ الْمَرْأَةَ خُلِقَتْ مِنْ ضِلَعٍ، وَإِنَّ أَعْوَجَ شَيْءٍ فِي الضِّلَعِ أَعْلَاهُ، إِنْ ذَهَبْتَ تُقِيمُهُ كَسَرْتَهُ، وَإِنْ تَرَكْتَهُ لَمْ يَزَلْ أَعْوَجَ، اسْتَوْصُوا بِالنِّسَاءِ خَيْرًا» (البخاري ، مسلم)
Translation: He who believes in Allah and the Hereafter, if he witnesses any matter he should talk in good terms about it or keep quiet. Act kindly towards woman, for woman is created from a rib, and the most crooked part of the rib is its top. If you attempt to straighten it, you will break it, and if you leave it, its crookedness will remain there. So act kindly towards women. (Bukhari, Muslim)
And it is also included in good behaviour that a husband creates love in his wife because it will create the love and kindness in the family. The Holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) often joked with Hazrat Ayesha (RadhiAllahu Anha) and competed with her in the race.
- 4. TO PROTECT WIFE FROM ANYTHING THAT HURTS HER DIGNITY:
A husband should be moderate in dealing with his wife in terms of his ego so that there would not be conflicts in their marital life and their life would not turn into hell. Otherwise, the trust among them would be finished and they could not live their life peacefully.
- 5. TO GIVE RELIGIOUS TEACHINGS AND PROTECT FROM SINS:
Allah Almighty says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا قُوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ وَأَهْلِيكُمْ نَارًا وَقُودُهَا النَّاسُ وَالْحِجَارَةُ عَلَيْهَا مَلَائِكَةٌ غِلَاظٌ شِدَادٌ لَا يَعْصُونَ اللَّهَ مَا أَمَرَهُمْ وَيَفْعَلُونَ مَا يُؤْمَرُونَ (التحريم : 6)
Translation of Meaning: “O ye who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is Men and Stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who flinch not (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah, but do (precisely) what they are commanded.” (Surah Al Tehreem, Verse 6)
- 6. TO NOT DISCLOSE HER SECRETS:
The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
«إِنَّ مِنْ أَشَرِّ النَّاسِ عِنْدَ اللهِ مَنْزِلَةً يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ، الرَّجُلَ يُفْضِي إِلَى امْرَأَتِهِ، وَتُفْضِي إِلَيْهِ، ثُمَّ يَنْشُرُ سِرَّهَا» (مسلم)
Translation: “On the Day of Judgement, the worst person near Allah is the one who goes to his wife and his wife goes to him (for performing the marital rights) and then he discloses her secrets.” (Muslim)
- 7. HE SHOULD NOT ABUSE HER.
- 8. IF THE HUSBNAND IS AWAY FROM HIS HOME FOR A LONGER PERIOD, HE SHOULD NOT COME HOME AT NIGHT UNANNOUNCED:
If the husband is away on a journey, and he informs about his return beforehand, there is nothing wrong about it. To make the relations better between the spouses, this is one of the most prime rules in Islamic morals. In it there is respect for the feelings of a wife, the mutual trust remains intact and the love between them strengthens. The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
«إِذَا أَطَالَ أَحَدُكُمُ الغَيْبَةَ فَلاَ يَطْرُقْ أَهْلَهُ لَيْلًا» (البخاري)
Translation: “When one of you stays away (from his family) for a long period of time, let him not surprise his family by night.” (Bukhari)
- 9. TO DO JUSTICE AMONG WIVES:
If a person has more than one wife, he should do justice among them. The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
«إِذَا كَانَ عِنْدَ الرَّجُلِ امْرَأَتَانِ فَلَمْ يَعْدِلْ بَيْنَهُمَا جَاءَ يَوْمَ القِيَامَةِ وَشِقُّهُ سَاقِطٌ» (الترمذي)
Translation: “When a man has two wives and he is not just between them, he will come on the Day of Judgment with one side drooping.” (Tirmizi)
MUTUAL RIGHTS AMONG HUSBAND AND WIFE
- THE RIGHT TO ENJOY WITH EACH OTHER AND MARITAL LIFE:
The things which are Halaal for a husband from his wife, the same things are halaal for a wife from her husband.
- HURMAT-E-MUSAHIRA (THE PROHIBITION OF MARRIAGE AMONG EACH OTHER):
This means that the wife is Haraam or prohibited on husband’s father, grandfather, sons and the grandsons. In the same way, a husband is Haraam or prohibited for wife’s mother, her daughters and the maternal and paternal aunts till when the wife is still in his Nikah (marriage).
- THE INHERITANCE IS PROVED WITH THE CONDUCTING OF NIKAH ONLY:
If any of the spouses dies after the Nikah, the other would be considered as his/her heir even if the husband has not fulfilled his marital rights.
- 4. THE RELATION OF A CHILD IS VALIDATED BY THE SAHIB-E-FIRASH (HUSBAND).