Fourth Part: Wuquoof-i-Arafat
Wuquoof-i-Arafat (Staying on the plain of Arafat) is the core part of Hajj. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: Camping at Arafat is Hajj (As-hab as-Sunan). If one misses camping at Arafat he misses the Hajj of that year. There is no recoupment of it.
Where to Camp:
It is valid and proper to camp at any place in the plain of Arafat. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: I will stay here and the whole of Arafat is a place of stay (Abu Dawood, Ibn Majah).
The Timing of Stay:
The time of stay at Arafat begins with the reclining of sun on the ninth day of Zul-Hijjah (known as “Arafah Day”) and remains till the break of dawn on the next day of tenth Zul-Hijjah (known as the “Day of Sacrifice”) [This day is celebrated as “Eidul Adha” by Muslims throughout the world]. The pilgrims ought to spend part of the day and part of the night for stay at Arafat. Perchance if a person cannot reach Arafat in day time and arrives there in night time, his stay will still be regarded as valid. The majority of scholars hold that the pilgrims should camp there for the whole night.
Duration of Stay:
The minimum duration of camping at Arafat is that the pilgrim should return from Arafat after sunset with ease and comfort. If one cannot manage this minimum requirement, he falls short in fulfilling this essential condition of Hajj. He will be deemed to have missed his Hajj and been deprived of it.
Sunnah Practices of Wuquoof
- To take bath at Nimrah Valley.
- On the day of Hajj the Imam [the Leader of Prayers] shall deliver two sermons [khutbah] and will perform the salats of Dhuhr and Asr of that day with the pilgrims in the short mode [Qasr].
- It is preferable to camp beneath the Mount of Mercy [Jabal-i-Rahmah] and near the big boulders, as the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) stayed on this spot.
- Throughout one should remain in the direction of Ka’ba, must keep clean and cover up his satr.
- Without any valid reason should not seek shade of any object.
- Avoid quarrel, abuse, and all such reprehensible acts.
- Must pass his time mostly in prayers and invocations.
- Should keep clean and with ablution throughout’
- No pilgrim should keep fast on the Day of Arafah.
- One should meditate and remain engrossed in the remembrance of Allah, and keep away from such actions and thoughts which affect his presence of mind.
- One should pray with downcast eyes and look like a humble person.
- One should keep on chanting ‘Labbaik” and “La Ilaha Illallah” frequently.